ACTED – ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters.
Position: Accountability Officer
Direct hierarchy: AME Officer, Baidoa
Contract duration: Six Months (with possible extension)
Location: Baidoa, Somalia
Starting date: June 2017
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the below position in Baidoa, Somalia. However this position is dependent on approval of funding.
Main objective: Under the direct supervision of the Baidoa AME officer and technical assistance from the Nairobi based Accountability Officer; he/she is responsible for ensuring ACTED continuously engage in meaningful two-way dialogue with communities it serves. The Accountability Officer will be responsible for ensuring the implementation and management of an ACTED accountability mechanism which consists: complaints response mechanism, pro-active engagement with project beneficiaries and ensuring issues, questions and complaints are followed up in a meaningful and genuine manner including bi-monthly reports. This is a new role and suited to a dynamic, committed and hard-working. This is a very exciting initiative for those interesting and passionate about ensuring communities have direct influence in aid interventions and how they are carried out. This initiative is about given a voice to communities and ensuring accurate needs and feedback is being listened to and acted upon in ACTED programs.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Liaise with communities, beneficiaries, local authorities and community leadership structures at field level.
· Conduct regular meetings on a structured basis including: focus groups discussions; household interviews; village relief committee meetings; key informant interviews (authorities etc.).
· Produce bi-monthly (every 2 weeks) and monthly reports and databases on feedback gathered.
· Act as a focal point for complaints and feedback on ACTED programs.
· Map and assess community structures to ensure feedback is representative of all groups.
· Work closely with program teams to ensure all feedback is incorporated into approaches and future programs where possible.
· Provide timely feedback to all stakeholders based on complaints and feedback.
· Work closely with community mobilisation teams as when necessary as a technical advisor on community focal points, structures and inclusivity of all groups.
· University Degree in relevant field.
· Somali national
· Practical experience working with communities.
· Previous NGO accountability experience is essential for the right candidate.
· Proven commitment to accountable practices.
· Ability to coordinate with other departments.
· Highly motivated and ability to work with culturally diverse groups of people.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective and working relationships.
· Experience and willingness to be based in the relevant field location.
· Committed to community participation in humanitarian interventions.
· Dynamic and flexible to changing priorities.
· Excellent communication skills and able to engage with communities, officials and community leaders.
· Fluent in written and spoken Somali and English
· Good grasp of the Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS)
· Proven ability to handle large and varied workloads, and deal constructively with changing priorities.