Driver Mogadishu, Somalia
SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Driver
Vacancy Number SVN/IOM/042/2017
Duty Station : Mogadishu, Somalia
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G2/01
Type of Appointment : 6 months with possibility of extension
Organizational Unit Somalia Stabilization Initiatives
Direct Supervision Senior Procurement Assistant
Overall Supervision Deputy Chief of Party – SSI
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 18th June 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration
and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is
dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by
providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The OTI funded SSI project in Somalia is primarily a community-based, small grants initiative
implemented in close coordination with the donor, with communities in priority areas, and with
all levels of Government, particularly newly formed District Administrations and regional state
institutions. The overall objective of the program is to support the political transition of Somalia
towards a functioning and stabilized Federal State through activities that promote good
governance, consolidation of the federal structure, and a receptive environment to respond to
emerging political contingencies;
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Party and the direct supervision of the
Senior Procurement and Logistics Assistant for the day to day technical duties, the incumbent
will be responsible for driving IOM vehicles, transport persons and goods authorized by IOM,
from one destination to another in a timely, safe and cost effective manner.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates
are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates
are considered as first-tier candidates.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
In particular, he/she will:
1. Drive IOM vehicles inside and outside the Mogadishu International Airport (MIA) compound,
including on convoys, and execute tasks as assigned by the Admin Finance Assistant
2. Ensure the safety of passengers, cargo and vehicle and observe traffic rules and road
3. Manage the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle(s), including Armored Vehicles,
to ensure roadworthiness before departure. This includes daily check of tires, brakes,
engine oil, fan belt, etc. Ensure cleanliness of the vehicle(s) at all times and mandatory
MOSS equipment is present and in proper working order i.e. fire extinguisher.
4. Collect mail/cargo and deliver various documents/items as planned by the Logistics
5. Fill in the inspection sheet of vehicle status and share with the Logistics Assistant. Report
promptly any defects or malfunctioning of the vehicle that requires immediate attention to
the Logistics Assistant.
6. Ensure that in case of accident, supervisors are informed and a (police) report is obtained.
In no case should the driver accept responsibility.
7. Maintain the vehicle road log sheet including the fuel status and oil changing at all times.
8. Closely coordinate with the Field Security Officer and Local Security Assistant on security
matters and convoy planning.
9. Follow the rules and regulations of driving IOM vehicles at all times.
10. Follow all security procedures as required in Mogadishu.
11. Refuel the vehicle(s) as required.
12. Be prepared and willing to work /weekend shifts as requested and on regular basis.
13. Perform such other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Required Qualifications and Experience
1. Completed Secondary School Education.
2. In possession of a valid driving license (A, B, C, E class).
1. Two years continuous driving experience with a busy organization.
2. Possession of a recent certificate of good conduct from the NISA department.
3. Basic knowledge of vehicle maintenance and repairs.
4. Good knowledge of routes within Mogadishu.
5. Good knowledge and working experience with HF and VHF Radios.
6. Flexible in terms of working hours.
7. Experience in working with UN agencies/ International NGOs/ Tour companies will be added
8. Trained in all terrain, defensive driving, and armored vehicle driving
Fluent in English and Somali is required.
Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external
Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve
performance of self and others.
Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of
Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related
needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
Technical – Drives IOM vehicles in a safe manner consistent with local regulations
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and
verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a
neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In
all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty
station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as