Health Information managements system (HMIS)Officer Adado
Child Safe guarding:
Level 3: the role holder will have contactwith children and/or young people either frequently(e.g. once a week
or more) or intensively(e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because theywork in country
programs; or are visiting countryprograms; ore because theyare responsible for implementing the police
checking/vetting process staff.
Under the general guidance of health project manager,HMISofficer will take the overall responsibilityof the
day-to-dayimplementation of the HMIScomponents in health programme activities in the Adado district
Galgadud regions South Somalia; particularlyHealth Projects supported bySave the children in these regions.
Among his/her tasks will be leading coordination of information management activities with the SC/ MOHstaffs
at the health facilities and work closelywith the district health management team.Organise M&Eactivities and
assist in the management of monitoring information, in order to support the deliveryof high quality, effective
health and nutrition programme.
SCOPE O FROLE:
Reports to:Health project manager
Country Dimensions:Save the Children works in various locationswithin Somaliland, Puntland and Central
South Somalia with a current staff complement of approximately 450 staff and current expenditure of
approximatelyGBP48 million each year.
Staff directly reporting to this post:None.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
· Along with the Health Program Officer and health/nutrition officers ensure effective start up, management,
implementation, monitoring, reporting and evaluation of the project, as it pertains to specificHMIS -M&E
A Medical Officer Jobs Public Health Officer For Health Information
· Develop comprehensive training plan, and accordinglyorganize HMIStraining for the save the children
staff in the field, MOHstaff at the health facilities.
· Provide on the job training to the staffs on the HMISdata collection, data entryand facilityreporting
· Support the collection and reviewof health facilities information, identifying potential gaps and
inconsistencies, through supportive supervision to selected health facilities, and quarterlydata reviewand
feedback meetings with facilitystaff and MoHcounterparts.(Data management).
· Participate in anyconsultative processes around HMISroll out in Central and south Somalia and
collaborate with District and Regional HMISofficers(coordination)
· Organize training on the HMISsystem for medical and non-medical staff(capacitybuilding)
· Prepare and submit timelyand regular reports to Project Manager on the achievements and progress of
the HMISaspects of the HSSMCHproject
· Conduct regular Assessments and Reviews ofHMIS/M&Eactivities of the project.
· Support the development and implementation of clear, practical M&Eplans.
· Support health and nutrition outreach teams – through regular meetings and on the job support – to
gather, collate, and analyse monitoring data, as well as to report on findings from monitoring activities.
· Participate in the development of templates and guidelines for data gathering, collation and reporting in
liaison with programme managers and coordinators.
· Coordinate and share learning related to M&Epractices at the health facilities and communitylevel
Set in place DataQualitydimensions to ensure that data used for analysis is of high integrity.
Collate accurate and timelytop-line output data from all programmes (to feed into central data base).
Manage and update the filing system of projects as per Save the Children M&EPolicy
Co-ordinate the production of progress reports as per the reporting schedules, in collaboration with
Accountability, communications andtraining:
· Workwith programme teams to ensure that information relating to Save the Children and activities is
shared widelywithin communities in which we are working and provide for their participation and feedback in
line with relevant guidelines and frameworks.
· Facilitate M&Emeetings, share M&Eguidance and deliver training and capacitybuilding in order to
ensure that monitoring activities are conducted effectivelyand according to agreed guidelines and procedures.
· Workwith programme staff to ensure learning is shared across programme sectors and with head office
and fed into the planning and programme design.
· In conjunction with MEAL teams, ensure consistencyof data is upheld, and feedback given to field staff
on areas to improve while at the same time ensuring a complaints response mechanism (CRM) is set up for
the project beneficiaries.
Delivering results (Skilled)
· Delivers timelyand appropriate results using available resources
· Takes responsibilityfor their work and its impact on others
· Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well without needing direct supervision
· Understands the link between their work and the organisation’s objectives
· Gathers the right information and uses critical thinking to make effective and timelydecisions
· Stays with a problem or challenge until a solution is reached or no longer reasonablyattainable.
· Knows when to involve others in a decision
· Demonstrates awareness of the wider external influences that impact on decision making
· Simplifies processes and procedures wherever possible
Applying Technical and Professional Expertise(Skilled)
· Delivers work that reflects a good knowledge and application of technical and professional standards
• Keeps up to date with trends in their work area
• Maintains ethical and professional behaviour in accordance with relevant codes of conducts
Working effectively with others(Skilled)
Activelylistens to newand different perspectives and experiences of those theyworkwith
Proactivelysupports team members and trusts their capabilities
Demonstrates understanding of their skills and howtheycomplement those of others within diverse
teams and groups
Clarifies their role and responsibilities within the team to maximise impact
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Universitydegree in social sciences/Statistics/Computer Science/another relevant field, or equivalent
Three or more years’ experience in data collection, collation, analysis, and reportwriting.
Commitment to and understanding Save the Children’s aims, values and principles.
Experience in MinistryofHealth information system management at all health care levels (district
hospital, health centre and primaryhealth unit)
Training in Monitoring and Evaluation
Strong organisational and analytical skills and abilityto workwell under pressure and with minimal
Strong interpersonal and communitymobilisation skills.
Highlymotivated, and flexible.
Excellent computer skills particularlyin Access, SPSS, EPI Info and Excel
Willing and able to be based and travel regularlywithin remote areas,where services are limited.
Demonstrated understanding of primaryhealth care,HMIS and M&Ein humanitarian programmes
Good presentation and persuasion skills.
Working experience in Southern Somalia -Lower Juba Somalia
CHILD SAFE GUARDING POLICY:
Anyemployee, consultant, contractor or the supplier undertaking an activityon behalf of SCI must sign the
Child Safeguarding – Declarationof Acceptance Form] and complywith the SCI’s Child Safeguarding Policy
which is a statement of SCI’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it comes
This extends not onlyto children with whom SCI and its partners work directly, but also includes children
whom staffs are responsible for. SCI believes that the situation of children must be improved through the
promotion of their rights supported and demonstrated byall members of staff. Save the Children
International’s Code ofConduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to.
CODE OF CONDUCT
Because Save the Children’s work is based on deeplyheld values and principles, it is essential that our
commitment to children’s rights and humanitarian principles is supported and demonstrated byall members
of staff. Save the Children’s Code ofConduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to
I ……………………………………………………….understand and agree to undertake myresponsibilityin
accordance with the above listed accountabilities/activities and also abide the terms and conditions of the
Signature: ……………….. Date: ………………