LOGISTIC ASSISTANT – ADADO
HILDSAFEGUARDING:Level 3: the role holder will have contactwith children and/or young people either frequently(e.g.
once a week or more) or intensively(e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because theywork in country
programs; or are visiting countryprograms; ore because theyare responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting
As an integral staff member of the Save the Children CSS, the Logistics Assistantwill support the field team byundertaking
technical and practical operational tasks to ensure smooth, safe and efficient operation of logistical activities in Adado office.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to:Logistics Officer
Country Dimensions:Save the Children works in various locationswithin Somaliland, Puntland and Central South Somalia
with a current staff complement of approximately 450 staff and current expenditure of approximatelyGBP48 million each
Staff directlyreportingtothis post:None
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
•With Help of LogOfficer Receive procurement requests from different sections and prepare purchase plans with a viewof
ensuring cost effectiveness, timelyprocurement and qualityof goods.
•Workwith Logistics officer and countryLogs manager for the supplies to be procured from Nairobi or internationally.
•Ensure procurement procedures are carried out in line with Save the Children policyand the Minimum Standards.
• Ensure donor procurement policies, guidelines and specific requirements are strictlymet.
•Establishment and maintenance of ethical, professional working relationships with suppliers.
•Monitor progress on contracts and remind both SCI management and other parties about end dates of framework
•Ensure the implementation of procurement policies and procedures within the Adado office.
•Reviewprocurement plans to ensure that program activities are accomplished
•Coordinate with Finance, Admin and program departments to ensure integrated internal controls, timelypayment of
vendors and full, auditable support documentation.
•Ensuring that a transparent and responsive procurement process is implemented and maintained.
•Routine communication, coordination and planning with the relevant requesting staff / programs regarding the order and
•Ensuring that all Supplies, services and equipments required are delivered in time.
•Maintain supplier information for regularlypurchased items, and be informed of current local market conditions.
•Support in Supplier selection, Supplier appraisal and contract formation
Warehouse andStocks Management
To be responsible for the stores management and implementation of systems.
Monitor office stock levels and advise on appropriate stocking and replenishment to meet project demands.
Ensure appropriate packing and loading of materials for dispatch and supervise material loading, and unloading.
Track and confirm deliveryof goods to their final destination.
Update and maintain the asset register and ensure that all assets are logged and issued with a unique asset
Responsible for ensuring each item is stored in the appropriate manner, is easyto access and has an updated
stock card /Bin Card including minimum reorder level.
Maintain a complete filing system to include all documentation e.g.GRNS, inventories,waybills, packing lists,
distribution reports etc.
Ensure that anyincoming items match the waybill, LPOand advise the LOof anyexceptions and to issueGoods
Received Notes (GRN’s) for anyitems received.
Ensure the stores are kept in a good reparative order, are kept locked and are clean and tidy.
Plan medicines and supplies management activities to complement and coordinate with project activities.
Ensure the proper labeling and storage of drugs and supplies in the warehouse and make sure that drugs are
used before their expirydates.
Keep safetystock of essential drugs for emergencyuse.
Calculate/compile the monthlyconsumption of drugs and submit to DHPMtimely.
Put a system in place to minimize wastage of drugs and supplies.
Ensure that program supplies are available in a timelymanner.
Complywith all policies and regulations related to safety, cleanliness and infection control in the pharmacy.
Carryout anyother duties and/or responsibilities assigned bythe immediate supervisor.
· Provide day-to-daysupervision to the drivers to ensure that all the vehicles are properlycleaned,well maintained and
driven/used as per the policies of the organization.
· Ensure that the allocation of vehicles and drivers is done as per plan and in an effective manner in response to
authorized transport requisitions.
· Ensure that Logbooks are dulyfilled and Checklists are completed bythe drivers on a dailybasis and the information
contained in them is collated and recorded in the appropriate manner.
· In collaboration with the LOensure that all vehicles receive scheduled preventative maintenance and faults are
rectified efficiently. All vehicles, including the communications equipment, remain in operational condition at all times.
· Assist the LOto ensure that the reports related to vehicles are generated as per deadlines and all records e.g.
Logbooks, Maintenance Reports, Fuel Reports and Mileage Reports are well kept.
· Arrange for transportation of goods and equipment’s between offices or to field sites and ensure that the goods are
securelypackaged and loaded to prevent damage during transportation.
· Compile accurate documentation relating to the movement of items between locations,whether as a transfer or for
· Report, as required, on projectwork and anymanagement issues arising in each assignment (to the area
· Complywith Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, procurement and
logistics, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
· Ensure that all work is carried out in a waythat is sensitive to communityneeds and gender and children issues. In
particular to promote the full and equal participation ofwomen and children in all aspects of the work.
· Within reason, implement additional actions and responsibilities, as requested byyour line manager.
SAVE THE CHILDREN COMPETENCY FRAMEWORK
• Delivers timelyand appropriate results using available resources
• Takes responsibilityfor their work and its impact on others
• Plans, prioritizes and performs tasks well without needing direct supervision
• Understands the link between their work and the organization’s objectives
APPLYING TECHNICAL AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERTISE(SKILLED)
• Delivers work that reflects a good knowledge and application of technical and professional standards
• Keeps up to date with trends in their work area
• Maintains ethical and professional behavior in accordance with relevant codes of conducts
WORKING EFFECTIVELY WITH OTHERS(SKILLED):
• Activelylistens to newand different perspectives and experiences of those theyworkwith
• Proactivelysupports team members and trusts their capabilities
• Demonstrates understanding of their skills and howtheycomplement those of others within diverse teams and groups
· Clarifies their role and responsibilities within the team to maximize impact
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Diploma in business administration/management
· Previous experience of managing a similar logisticwork.
Minimum 2 years proven work experience logistic managementwithin a busyworking environment such as
financial institutes or INGOs
· Good English language command.
· Good computer and writing skills.
· Supportive personnel management style.
· Good communication and interpersonal skills.
High level of integrityand abilityto work as part of a professional team
Abilityto work under high pressure to meet tight deadlines
Politicallyand culturallysensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
Commitment to the aims and principles of SCI. In particular, a good understanding of the SCI mandate and child
focus and an abilityto ensure this continues to underpin our support
Commitment to SCIChild Protection Policy
Computer literate (abilityto use advanced excel)
Abasic level ofwritten and spoken English and good command over Somali
Proven abilityto handle challenging work load
Cross-cultural experience, understanding and sensitivity;
Excellent interpersonal and written and oral communication skills;
Commitment to Save the Children values
• Previous work experience in Adado district ofGalgadud region is an asset
CHILD SAFE GUARDING POLICY:
Anyemployee, consultant, contractor or the supplier undertaking an activityon behalf of SCI must sign the Child
Safeguarding – Declarationof Acceptance Form] and complywith the SCI’s Child Safeguarding Policywhich is a
statement of SCI’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it comes into contact.
This extends not onlyto children with whom SCI and its partners work directly, but also includes children whom staff are
responsible for. SCI believes that the situation of children must be improved through the promotion of their rights supported
and demonstrated byall members of staff. Save the Children International’s Code ofConduct sets out the standards which
all staff members must adhere to.
CODE OF CONDUCT
Because Save the Children’s work is based on deeplyheld values and principles, it is essential that our commitment to
children’s rights and humanitarian principles is supported and demonstrated byall members of staff. Save the Children’s
Code ofConduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to
Signature: ……………….. Date: ………………
Save the ChildrenInternational does not charge anykindof fee atwhichever stage of the recruitment
process anddoes not act throughrecruitment agents