Roving Finance Manager
Roving Finance Manager
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Support team LOCATION: Somalia/Somaliland
GRADE: 2 POST TYPE: National
Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
The purpose of this post is to ensure that the country office adheres to all its financial management obligations internally within Save the Children and externally with donors. The position holder will be travelling extensively within Somalia to support Area Offices on key finance tasks including financial accounting, donor reporting, budgeting, audits, asset management, staff training, partner support and covering for Area Finance Managers.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Finance Director
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Internal: Country and Field Finance Teams, Budget Holders, Awards, Logistics and HR Departments, and internal audit.
External: Tax Offices, External Auditors, Regulatory Bodies, Bank, Insurance, Suppliers, Transporters, partners
Key primary accountabilities
- Cover for the senior Finance staff i.e. Country Finance Manager, Budgeting and Reporting Manager and the Area Finance Managers as necessary.
- Support Area Offices in maintaining standard financial accounting management, ensuring compliance to local
statutory law and donors regulations and consistent with Save the Children accounting policies, procedures and tools.
- Ensure that Save the Children’s commitment to improving quality and accountability in humanitarian work is
- Support in the preparation of donor financial reports and proposal budgets
- Ensure full cost recovery is achieved (through strategic financial management and proposal budget development)
- Ensure all donor financial compliance requirements are complied with and reports are prepared on time with
complete audit trial.
- Identify, assess, input, recommend on the existing and desired reconciliation process (reporting assurance
mechanism) between Finance, Procurement, Logistics, Distribution, M&E that will ensure accountable reporting to donors on all humanitarian inputs (items delivered to beneficiaries).
- Work with field staff to ensure that financial transactions are recorded in an accurate and consistent manner and in accordance with agreed timelines and ensure that monthly financial work plan is adhered to.
- Monitor coding of expenditures and ensure timely adjustments when activation of new awards with relevant audit trail.
- Work with Budget holders to develop realistic and accurate phased budgets in line with the project implementation plans and monitor it monthly to ensure the relevant KPIs are met.
- Participation in internal and external audit exercises and subsequent implementation of the auditors’
- Ensure that at all stages of the program implementation the control framework of the operation is consistent with the situation and ensure that necessary risks are taken knowingly with appropriate mitigating actions.
- Support Cash Transfer programming activities from feasibility assessment to implementation, and ensure
accountability by enforcing adequate controls.
- Ensure the program is adhering to Finance quality framework minimum standards, Country Office Finance Manual and other SCI financial policies including circulars, memos and guidance from the Finance Director, Regional Finance Office and the Centre.
- Prepare the monthly cash forecasts for the area office based on the planned programme activities and forward this to the Area Representative for approval with a breakdown for three trenches.
- Ensure access to cash for areas of operations by establishing effective banking arrangements or by ensuring safe cash in transit alternatives through implementation of emergency cash management guidelines.
- Support in the assessment of new partner financial capacity and provide financial capacity building when
- Ensure that all new staff recruited are adequately inducted in Save the Children emergencies and financial
- Strengthen the nonfinance staff knowledge and capacity to manage finance by providing, induction, training and coaching consistent with their various roles and responsibilities.
- Run trainings for all staff, including budget holders and project staff, on efficient budget management and other SCI finance policies and procedures including Fraud and dishonesty and other compliance policies.
- Carry out extensive field visits to support and build capacities of the field finance teams in the area office and/or finance staff of local implementing partners.
- Comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to health and safety, security,
equal opportunities and other relevant policies..
SKILLS AND BEHAVIORS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save
the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- University degree in Commerce, Accounting or Business Administration (Finance or Accounting option) from a
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively mid-level management experience with INGO’s in professional accounting and financial management.
- Demonstrated experience in working with local partners and supporting in building their capacity.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting procedures.
- Experience of systems audit and articulating/implementing recommendations.
- Good personal organisational skills, including time management, and ability to meet deadlines and work under
- Ability to work within a multicultural setting.
- Training skills.
- Experience working in difficult and/or emergency environments.
- Computers literate, proficient with excel and computerized accounting packages.
- High level of integrity and ability to work as part of a professional team.
- Ability and willingness to work under high pressure travel to field offices and to meet tight deadlines.
CHILD SAFEGUARING POLICY:
Any employee, consultant, contractor or the supplier undertaking an activity on behalf of SCI must sign the Child
Safeguarding – Declaration of Acceptance Form] and comply with the SCI’s Child Safeguarding Policy which is a
statement of SCI’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it comes into contact.
This extends not only to children with whom SCI and its partners work directly, but also includes children whom staff are responsible for. SCI believes that the situation of children must be improved through the promotion of their rights supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children International’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards, which all staff members must adhere to.
CODE OF CONDUCT
Because Save the Children’s work is based on deeply held values and principles, it is essential that our commitment to children’s rights and humanitarian principles is supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the
Children’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents.
How to ApplyApplication procedures: Interested candidates are required to apply through
Applications will close on 30th Jun 2017
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer. Women are strongly encouraged to apply