Senior Procurement and Logistics Assistant – Mogadisho,Somalia
SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title Senior Procurement and Logistics Assistant
Vacancy Numbe :SVN/IOM/043/2017
Duty Station : Mogadishu, Somalia
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G7 (Third Party Contractor)
Type of Appointment Short term, six (6) months with possibility of extension
Organizational Unit Somalia Stabilization Initiatives
Direct Supervision Deputy Chief of Party
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 25th June 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of
migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental
partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all.
It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The SSI program in Somalia is primarily a community-based, small grants initiative
implemented in close coordination with the donor, with communities in priority areas, and
with all levels of Government, particularly newly formed District Administrations and regional
state institutions. The overall objective of the program is to support the political transition of
Somalia towards a functioning and stabilized Federal State through activities that promote
good governance, consolidation of the federal structure, and a receptive environment to
respond to emerging political contingencies.
Under the technical guidance of the Procurement & Logistics Officer of IOM Somalia/SSI in
Nairobi, and under the direct supervision of Deputy Chief of Party based in Mogadishu, the
Senior Procurement & Logistics Assistant in Mogadishu will be responsible for organizing,
administrating, tracking and managing all aspect of procurement and logistics activities
funded by the Office of Transition Initiatives (OTI) in South West and Juba Land Regional
Administration in Somalia in Phase 1 and in Galmudug Regional Administration in the
second phase, in accordance with IOM’s regulations, rules and procedures.
The Senior Procurement and Logistics Assistant will be expected to play an active and
constructive role in providing procurement and logistics coordination to the program
management in Mogadishu, and to liaise with their functional supervisors in Nairobi.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates
are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates
are considered as first-tier candidates.
Page 2 / 4
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
The Senior Procurement and Logistics Officer responsibilities will include, but are not limited
to, the following:
1. In coordination with Supervisor, Field Coordination and Grants Units in Nairobi, support
the SSI procurement and contracting processes in Mogadishu to facilitate the smooth
and efficient implementation of programme grants;
2. Lead the implementation and monitoring aspects related to procurement and logistical
needs to support SSI Program’s activities in the field and sub-offices.
3. On a routine basis assist in identifying procurement & logistics challenges and issues,
and provide solutions, suggestions, and recommendations especially for those grant
projects to be implemented in new and remote areas;
4. Monitor and track all procurements of goods and services made in the field for grants
5. Supervise the logistics and procurement team in the field in all the sub-offices in Somalia
on a daily basis.
6. Contribute, with the rest of the team, to grants’ budgets to insure they do have realistic
estimates and necessary components and specifications;
7. Conduct regular vendors’ checks and market surveys to ensure a full knowledge of the
availability and price of different supplies and goods in the local market;
8. Contribute to the suppliers’ data base and catalogues/price lists of the recurring supplies
and goods in close liaison with all program and technical units;
9. Maintain an inventory and track SSI project assets and equipment in all the field suboffices
in coordination with assets Focal Point in Nairobi.
10. Perform capacity building of vendors, operations/program staff on Procurement to keep
abreast of IOM/SSI procurement process and procedures to be followed and policies to
11. Where so requested, participate in Tenders and Evaluation committees, conduct tenders
opening taking place in Mogadishu , and do analysis of bids received in response to
each Tender insuring all necessary documentation and processes are followed and that
it is consistent with IOM’s regulations, rules and procedures
12. Ensure the maintenance of all supporting documentations and requisite authorizations in
accordance with IOM rules and regulations throughout the procurement processes,
including Purchase Requisition Forms (PRFs), Delivery Receipts, Deed of Donations
and Way Bills;
13. Review the preparation of Purchase Requisitions Forms (PRFs) related to operational
and office needs, as required, and on a timely basis and captured in the system;
14. Manage fleet and supervise drivers for the rented vehicles ensuring efficient utilizations;
15. Track monthly fuel consumption and vehicle repair and submit monthly report to IOM
16. Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Page 3 / 4
Required Qualifications and Experience
1. University Degree in Business Administration, or a Higher Diploma in Procurement
or an equivalent combination of training and experience;
2. Thorough understanding of USAID Procurement and Logistics policies, rules and
3. Knowledge of MS Project and common software applications such as Word, Excel,
PowerPoint and Access.
1. Minimum five (5) years relevant experience in a similar position (or seven years for
candidates with secondary school education), with specific focus on
local/international procurement, clearing & forwarding, VAT, laws and regulations,
insurance and inventory/stock/supplies and management;
2. Demonstrated ability to maintain integrity in performing responsibilities assigned;
3. Previous experience with UN and International Agencies, or NGO’s an advantage;
4. Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations;
5. Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners;
6. Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader
community to advance country or regional objectives.
Fluency in English and Somali is required.
Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the
Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or
Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and
Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve
performance of self and others.
Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of
Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related
needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet
resource needs of IOM.
Page 4 / 4
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment
and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a
neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be
considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the
country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting
distance, and work permit, as applicable